Monday, June 2, 2014

Writing is hard

Sometimes I hate writing. And by sometimes I mean often. It is hard. Some days I like what I have written. Other days I can read the exact same thing and hate it. Sometimes I know why and that is easy to fix, sometimes I don't know why- I just hate it today.
I don't know what it was like to be published a long time ago because I wasn't born yet but I think it had to have been easier than today. Before the internet was invented, or TV, or the radio. Before there were 7 billion people in the world. It seems like writers just typed up their manuscript and changed their name to a guy's name (if they were female), hand delivered it to a publisher (or got their brother to do it if they were female) and presto book-o! I think all classic authors of the 1800s would have a hard time being published today.
But now we have self publishing. This is both a good and bad thing. It is good in that it gives new authors a chance to be heard, it gives the power back to the writer, but it is scary! To be successful it is good to be professionally edited first. (Though a lot of published books I read seem to have skipped this step, hmmm) This process is scary too because you get to find out every tiny little thing that is wrong with your book, and there are a lot of tiny little things. After getting an entire manuscript back that you have spent countless hours perfecting you realize how imperfect it still is, and always will be. Because nothing is perfect.
Dang it why is writing so hard? I should have been a painter. Do paintings get edited? Is that a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment